Last updated August 8, 2019.
Employment and education
- 2015-present. Associate Professor of Linguistics, Dept. of Linguistics & Languages, Michigan State University.
- 2007-2015. Assistant Professor of Linguistics, Dept. of Linguistics & Languages, Michigan State University.
- 2008. PhD Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania.
- 2001. BA (Hons) Modern & Medieval Languages, University of Cambridge, UK.
Graduate student supervision
- expected August 2019. Xiaomei Wang.Variation and change in Tianjin tone sandhi. (co-chair with Yen-Hwei Lin).
- expected December 2019. Mohammed Ruthan. Aspects of Jazani Arabic. (co-chair with Yen-Hwei Lin).
- in progress. Matt Savage.
- in progress. Chad Hall.
- in progress. Alex Mason.
- 2019. Monica Nesbitt. Changing their minds: The impact of internal social change on local phonology.
- 2019. Irina Zaykovskaya. Perceptions of remarkable US English LIKE by native and non-native English-speaking young adults in Michigan. (co-chair with Susan Gass).
- 2018. Mingzhe Zheng. “To be assimilated and more like white”: A sociolinguistic study of Chinese-Americans in the “Asian city” of southeast Michigan.
- 2014. Ashley Hesson. Medically speaking: Co-variation as stylistic clustering within physician recommendations.
- 2012. Daniel J. Hasty. This might could help us better understand syntactic variation: The double modal construction in Tennessee English
- expected December 2019. Rebecca Senn. An experimental approach to Ukrainian yers. (co-chair with Karthik Durvasula).
- expected May 2019, by exam. Morgan Momberg, Carli Willard.
- 2011. Chun-Yi Peng. The placement of the prepositional dative construction in Mandarin varieties.
- by exam: Kirsten Bakken (2008) Lubna Al-juboori (2009), Alexander Mason (2016).
Graduate committee membership
- current PhD: Meisam Arjmandi, Shannon Cousins, Naiyan Du, Adam Gobeski, Elena Heard (The Australian National University), Ho-Hsin Huang, Ye Ma, Jason Smith, Chenchen Xu.
- past PhD: Drew Trotter (2019), Sayako Uehara (2018), Kali Morris (2018), Qian Luo (2018), Joe Jalbert (2016), Candice Scott (U Michigan, 2015), Mousa Qasem (2010).
- past MA: Alicia Parrish (2017), Patricia Lawrence (2015), Chenchen Xu (2014), Adina Williams (2013), Xiao Fu (2012), Kenneth Edgington (2012), Yi-Jen Huang (2008), Jon Bakos (2008), Andrew Fraser (2007), Misako Matsubara (2007).
Editing and refereeing
- 2014-present. Co-editor with Isabelle Buchstaller, Routledge Studies in Language Change.
- 2014-2019. Area editor with Erez Levon, sociolinguistics & anthropological linguistics, Linguistics Vanguard.
- 2019. Member of review panel for US National Science Foundation, Directorate of Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences.
- Ad hoc reviews for:
- US National Science Foundation, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
- John Benjamins, Routledge, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Language Variation and Change, Journal of Sociolinguistics, Journal of French Language Studies, Language and Linguistics Compass, Canadian Journal of Linguistics, Australian Journal of Linguistics, Journal of Linguistic Geography, Journal of Phonetics, Nordic Journal of Linguistics.
Conference steering committees
- 2016-2018. International steering committee, Discourse-Pragmatic Variation and Change.
- 2013-2016. International steering committee, International Conference on Methods in Dialectology.
Service to Michigan State University
Committee chairship and leadership
- 2018-present. Director of Graduate Studies for Linguistics.
- 2018-2019. Linguistics convener.
- 2018. Linguistics fixed term search committee, chair.
- 2018. Linguistics & Languages RPT committee, chair.
- 2017-2018. College of Arts and Letters Advisory Council, chair.
- 2015-2016. Linguistics co-convener.
- 2018-present. College of Arts and Letters Graduate Council.
- 2017-present. Linguistics program summer fellowship sub-committee.
- 2017-2019. College of Arts and Letters Advisory Council.
- 2015-present. Rhodes Scholarship and Mitchell Scholarship selection committee, Honors College.
- 2013-2015. University Committee on Faculty Tenure.
- 2011, 2014, 2019. Faculty Evaluation Committee, Dept. of Linguistics and Languages.
- 2011-2012. Department Advisory Committee, Dept. of Linguistics and Languages.
- 2009-present. Linguistics program graduate admissions sub-committee.
- 2009, 2011, 2016, 2017. Linguistics program fixed term or other search committee (4).
- 2008-2009, 2011-2012, 2018-2019. Linguistics program tenure stream search committees (4), of which affirmative action advocate for 1.